Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Greater M. Symphonic Band












Mark and I attended the GMSB Concert which was fantastic. Wow, we were mesmerized. Steve plays every percussion instrument with such control. The Star-Spangled Banner left tears in my eyes as Steve played his rolls on the snare. Elissa plays the flute with grace and perfection. She is also a wonderful band director and her students know they are lucky to have her guidance. Her melodays also left tears in my eyes. She plays so beautiul. Wow.

Robert Longfellow, Conductor

Overture to Candide.............Leonard Berstein aar. Walter Beeler
The Star-Spangled Banner........John Stafford Smith arr. Henry Fillmore
A Longford Legend...............Robert Sheldon
Irish Tune from County Derry....Percy Aldrige Grainger
"Shepards Hey" English Dance....Percy Aldrige Grainger
The Irish weasherwomen..........Leroy Anderson

Col. Arnald D. Gabriel, Guest Conductor

Hands Accross the Sea............John Philip Sousa
Slavonic Rhapsody No. 2..........Carl Friedemann aar. W. J. Duthoit
A Gershwin Fantasy...............George Gershwin aar. Ralph Martino
Italian Rhapsody.................Julie Giroux
Finale (from Symphony in F Minor No. 4) .....P. I. Tschaikowsky aar. V.F. Safranek

It was the Italian Rhapsody or the Finale in Minor 4 music which was also played in Rome in front of 60-thousand people and the Pope. Col. Arnald D. Gabriel was the same conductor for Rome and last night's consert. What a wonderful concert. I can't wait to see them play again!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would there be, like - uh, any recordings of the concert? That'd be something for all the family to have and cherish.

I know you're proud.

Zeta said...

Yes, I really tried to have the video attach to my blog with the avi files I have. Even you tube gave me problems. When I have more time, I'll try to attach the video again.

RANGER said...

It looks as though you and M had wonderful seats. They are so intent and concentrated on what they are doing . . . lost in the music. How perfect.